An American classic. I’ve been obsessed with pan-frying tofu lately. It gets really crispy and chewy on the inside. Addictive. I have also discovered an intense love of gochujang, so I paired them together to create a meal that Panda Express would be proud of. I’ve eaten this multiple times this week…
- Gochujang is Korean chili paste. It’s mildly spicy, almost smoky in flavor, and a brilliantly bright red color. I was able to find some at Kroger, if you can’t find it look for it in your local Asian market. I like spicy food, but if you don’t then add less than the recipe calls for, but it’s really not bad at all.
- This is one of those great dishes where the star is the tofu, and that means you can throw whatever veg you want in there and it’ll taste good. I had mushrooms and broccoli I needed to eat up so I threw that in there. The sauce is the star.
- If you want the tofu to stay extttrrrraaaaaa crispy, cook the sauce on the side of everything else and pour it on top right as you are beginning to eat. Yum.
- THIS IS VEGANNNNNN nice nice.
- Before you ask, no, I will never stop posting asian recipes. Soy sauce runs through my veins. I must obey the sauce.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings (if you’re like me and eat 2x as much as you probably should. which you will. it’s that good)
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 1/2 pack of mushrooms
- handful of broccoli florets
- 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 orange
- Drain the tofu and press with paper towels until some the of the excess water comes out. Cut into equal sized pieces and sprinkle with the cornstarch. Make sure each piece is lightly coated.
- Bring a pan to medium high heat. Add the oil and wait for it to get hot. Add the tofu. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes or until the pieces start to look a lovely golden brown.
- While the tofu is cooking, prep the veg. Add the onion, mushrooms, 1 green onion, and broccoli to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium. Cook until the veg is halfway done.
- In a separate small bowl, add the gochujang, honey, soy sauce, orang juice, and garlic together. Mix until thoroughly combined, adding a splash of water if necessary.
- Add the sauce to the pan, coating the veg and the tofu. Let the sauce reduce until you can pull the spoon through and the sauce stays on either side. (If you REALLY want her thick thick, as I do, you can make a cornstarch slurry of about a tsp of cornstarch and as much water. Stir that sucker up and add it to the pan. The cornstarch will add that extra UMPH of stickiness that is characteristic of good Asian fast food)
- Once the sauce is reduced to your liking, turn off the heat. Add the sesame oil and stir.
- Serve piping hot with a bowl of rice, top with sesame seeds and more green onions.
Booyah. Kung Pao Tofu! Spicy, smoky, salty, sweet, delicious! I hope you guys give this one a try!