I love tacos. I mean, I LOVE them. To me, tacos without chicken or beef or pork didn’t sound like a fun time UNTIL I tried it myself. I’m obsessed. You know I love me a roasted veggie and cauliflower is subtle enough to not dominate the other taco-y flavors I was going for. I wasn’t planning on posting this because I was just throwing stuff together for dinner one night and it ended up being super tasty but that means I didn’t take any pictures of the cooking process. That said I really hope you guys try this one!
- I honestly just used lentils because it’s what I had leftover from my previous lentil recipe, otherwise I would have just used beans of some sort cause #duh
- I topped it with a homemade super simple chipotle sauce because its what I decided I wanted to do while I waited for the cauliflower to roast but store bought works great too
- I put red bell pepper on mine which I recommend because of that vegetal crunch that is oh-so fantastic
- I also quick pickled the radishes in some red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt which you definitely don’t have to do, I just really love some acidity to break up the richness
- Always always ALWAYS add fresh herbs if you have them. I happened to have some cilantro leftover and it totally ties everything together
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 can of brown lentils
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- bunch of cilantro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper if you like the ~heat~
- corn tortillas
- pickled radishes (or regular)
- veggie toppings
- cotija cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Cut up cauliflower into florets. Toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp lime juice, salt, and pepper. Place onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes (remember to shake the pan halfway through to keep them from sticking!).
- Dice the onion and put into a saucepan on medium heat with remaining olive oil to sweat. Once the onion is translucent add the garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Stir continuously to keep the spices from burning, then add the drained lentils and vegetable broth. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- While waiting for the cauliflower and lentils, combine the mayonnaise, adobo peppers, remaining lime juice, salt and pepper into a blender and blend until smooth. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Also while waiting, optionally quick pickle the radishes. I used enough vinegar to cover the slices, a pinch each of sugar and salt. Then let sit until ready to serve. Prep your other veggie toppings while you wait.
- Separate the cilantro stems from the leaves. When the lentils are almost ready to serve, chop up the cilantro stems and throw it in with the lentils. Then turn the heat off. Lentils are ready!
- Once the cauliflower is done roasting, pull the baking sheet out of the over and set aside to cool a bit. Toast your tortillas on high heat in a pan (I recommend two corn tortillas per taco).
- To assemble, place a layer of lentils on the bottom of your tortilla. Add a few pieces of cauliflower and your radishes and other vegetable toppings. Drizzle over some of the chipotle sauce, add a sprinkle of cotija cheese, a squirt of lime juice, and finally top with a bunch of cilantro leaves.
That’s it! So easy! So tasty! I hope you guys give this one a try ^.^